Presence & Impact
We’d all like to believe that if we work hard and do the right things, we’ll be noticed and success will follow. Yet the statistics paint a very different picture. What exactly is presence and impact, and why is it important? Simply put, having presence is all about whether others perceive you as having what it takes to succeed as a leader.
Presence is difficult to define. Experts agree that it is a combination of personal traits and outward behaviours that create an image of competence and trustworthiness. Sylvia Ann Hewlett, author of Executive Presence, defines presence as how one acts (gravitas), speaks (communication) and looks (appearance). So, the question is ’how could you crack the code for unlocking leadership presence?’
”According to a new study by the Center for Talent Innovation, being perceived as leadership material is essential to being promoted into leadership positions. In fact, the 268 senior executives surveyed said ’executive presence’ counts for 26% of what it takes to get promoted.”
(Quoted in Forbes Oct 29, 2012)
The goal of this session is to provide the business case and context that underscores the importance of executive presence. We also provide you with a framework to understand the three core components of executive presence, and an opportunity to receive feedback and grow your current level of leadership presence and impact.
Organisational success relies on leaders communicating in a manner that garners the confidence of others. So, how can your organisation:
- Build a culture that respects and encourages staff to bring your ‘authentic’ selves to work?
- Identify the conditions required for people to feel comfortable fitting into the organisational culture?
- Empower others to take charge of their leadership presence, personal brand and career visibility?
During this ½ day workshop we’ll enable you to understand more about your own self-confidence, and how you can respond to the pressures of the modern workplace by being appropriately assertive.
- Share research and key findings on the business case around leadership presence.
- Personal reflection and group discussions to understand what leadership presence means for you and
the aspects of leadership presence that you need to work on.
- Consider the optimum conditions for you to be at your best – performing with authenticity and leadership
- Identify techniques you can use to increase your personal presence, at work and in your personal
life – receiving feedback and the opportunity to practise these behaviours.
Developing presence and impact provides measureable outcomes for you and your organisation, including:
- More engaged, motivated and aligned employees.
- Greater levels of alignment around organisational and team goals.
- High levels of confidence and trust from external stakeholders.
Presence and Impact
Having Presence and Impact is one of a few critical success factor for mid to senior level leaders. For many, possessing what is often referred to as executive presence, helps to engender competence and trustworthiness in the eyes of others. This in turn, increases their chances of being regarded as an influential player within their organisation. Indeed, recent research quoted in Forbes Magazine shows that senior executives rate ‘executive presence’ very highly – They believe it accounts for up to 26% of what it takes to get promoted.
You are always welcome to contact us for advice on which course or programme will suit your needs the best.