Whether we like it or not, organisations are highly political environments. Many leaders question the need to engage in politics at work. However, every organisation has unique dynamics and nuances to consider. As leaders, we need to be willing to adapt to these conditions to successfully navigate complex, competitive, and rapidly changing environments. Politics can make or break your career.
Current research suggests that people find office politics very difficult. These pressures can often leave us feeling that getting ahead demands a high personal price. The question we often ask ourselves is, ’is this stress that politics engenders really worth it?
”Perceptions of organisational politics have been found to have detrimental effects on individuals (e.g. higher levels of absenteeism, turnover intentions, anxiety, and stress) and lower levels of job satisfaction, organisational commitmen t , job performance, and organisational citizenship.”
(Kacmar and Baron, 1999; Ferris, Adams, et al., 2002)
The goal of this session is to raise awareness about the role of politics in your career, to decide how you want to ‘play’ with them, and then to craft a savvy strategy for navigating your organisation more successfully.
Employees who know how to leverage ‘the system’ rather than work against it, contribute immeasurably towards organisational success. How can your organisation:
- Build a culture that respects and values the contribution of all employees, equally?
- Help its people to think seriously about how they build their networks and careers in a sustainable way?
- Help its leaders find strategies to minimise the risk of bias and promoting people ‘like me’?
- Identify the conditions that need to be present in order for people to thrive, based on merit?
- Empower others to take charge of their organisational savvy strategy?
During this ½ day workshop, we’ll enable you to understand more about your own organisational savvy and style. We will also help you navigate the nuances of your team, division and organisation more powerfully.
- Through stakeholder analysis, you’ll discover with whom and how to build a more strategic network.
- Practise connecting with – and building relationships with – those who have an influence on your career.
- Coaching on your personal savvy style, strengths and limitations, to help you develop greater awareness
of how to ‘show up’ at work.
- We will discuss how to overcome the blocks and barriers to progression within your organisation, as
well as identify techniques to overcome deception and political sabotage from others.
- We will help you develop practical, non-manipulative strategies to better engage with those who will
influence your career.
Investing in organisational savvy provides measureable outcomes for you and your organisation, including:
- Broader and more robust networks between employees.
- More effective leaders who are able to canvass for change and create alignment.
- The enablement of more diverse teams where differences are respected and leveraged.
You are always welcome to contact us for advice on which course or programme will suit your needs the best.