Confidence & Assertiveness
Very few people succeed in business without a degree of confidence and assertiveness. Yet everyone, from graduates to seasoned leaders in the C suite, have moments when they are unsure of their ability to tackle challenges, or present themselves confidently. No one is immune to these bouts of insecurity and doubt, but they hold you back.
Being confident and assertive isn’t as simple as saying what you mean. How you say what you mean is crucial, and differs from one person to the next, given that language is a learned social behaviour, deeply influenced by cultural context. Being assertive and self-confident certainly enables you to exercise your authority, stand up for your ideas and express yourself appropriately. But, what if it’s not your style?
”Leaders who were rated high — in the 75th percentile — as having good judgment but lower on assertiveness had only a 4.2% chance of being highly rated as an effective leader.”
(Quoted by Joseph Folkman in Forbes Oct 10, 2013)
The goal of this session is to explore the mind-set and beliefs that support or inhibit self confidence and assertiveness. We provide a framework to understand how and when to be assertive, as well as the opportunity to receive feedback on how to build and maintain these behaviours for greater impact.
Organisational success relies on its leaders communicating confidently and authentically. How can your organisation:
- Build a culture that respects and values all employee’s opinions, needs and ’voices’?
- Help your people to think seriously about how they ‘show up’ within their organisation?
- Help your leaders find strategies to increase talent retention, capabilities and engagement?
- Identify the conditions required for people to feel comfortable about being assertive at work?
- Empower others to take charge of their own self-development, personal brand and career paths?
During this ½ day workshop we’ll enable you to understand more about your own self-confidence, and how you can respond to the pressures of the modern workplace by being appropriately assertive.
- A framework and definition of assertiveness, to enable you to leverage these behaviours successfully.
- Personal reflection and group discussions to help you understand the situations that threaten your
ability to be confident and develop strategies that inspire greater assertiveness.
- Role play and practise sessions to support you in creating the optimum conditions for you to be at
your best, confident and assertive self.
- Identify techniques you can use to increase your personal impact, at work and in your personal life.
Investing in developing confidence and assertiveness provides measureable outcomes for you and your
- More engaged and motivated employees.
- Greater speed and clarity when making important decisions within teams.
- High levels of confidence and trust from internal and external stakeholders.
Read the article: Confidence & Assertiveness
In a world of volatility and uncertainty, there is nothing more compelling than a leader who demonstrates genuine confidence. It is one of the key ingredients in gaining support for your ideas and followers for your projects. After all, if you are not confident about your ideas and solutions, then why should anybody else be?
You are always welcome to contact us for advice on which course or programme will suit your needs the best.