Become a Scrum Master
Be a PSM® I certification Scrum Master from Scrum.org4 reviews Share this page Print
Become a successful Scrum Master
Scrum is a framework that helps teams and organisations achieve the best possible output from their efforts. Scrum is simple and effective, making it one of the most common and widely used agile methods for working with complex problems and projects.
The framework is simple to understand, but complicated to implement successfully, if you do not have insight into the agile values and principles that lie behind it.
In this course, you learn the core of the agile mindset, and how the Scrum framework can support teams and organisations in their agile development.
The course prepares you for the official certification exam “Professional Scrum Master® I (PSM I)” from Scrum.org. With a passed exam, you are a certified Scrum.org Professional Scrum Master®.
You can choose to participate in the course physically or virtually depending on which course date you select. Read more about the two options and the differences here.
What is a Scrum Master?
A Scrum Master has thorough understanding of the agile values and principles. The Scrum Master ensures framework compliance is complied with and assists both the team and stakeholders with understanding how and why it is implemented.
The Scrum Master is an important part of the team who constantly focuses on continuous improvement and optimisation. As a Scrum Master, you are both the facilitator and the coach – always with the main purpose of keeping the team on track in their own agile development.
What are the tasks and responsibilities of the Scrum Master?
A Scrum Team works in short iterative cycles called sprints, and it is the Scrum Master’s responsibility to support the team’s development and ability to get optimal output from the process.
The Scrum Master should to a large extent ensure:
- That both flow and transparency are achieved
- That there is involvement and mutual understanding
- That obstacles and problems are addressed
The Scrum Master should also:
- Facilitate necessary processes and improvements
- Support and challenge the Scrum Team’s development and continuous improvement
- Coach and train the team in agile principles and values
- Keep the team motivated
Who should attend the course?
The course is for everyone who wants to increase their agile insight and competencies and would like to achieve an internationally recognised certification of their skills.
Whether you work with management or development, this course provides you with a better starting point for working in an agile context.
The course is relevant for new Scrum Masters who want an improved understanding and a solid agile toolbox, but also for experienced Scrum Masters who seek inspiration and wish to sharpen their competencies.
Which qualities should a Scrum Master possess?
A Scrum Master ensures that the team works under the best conditions and that potential challenges are addressed. Therefore, you must be able to accommodate high pressure situations and conflicts within the team.
A Scrum Master is therefore typically a person who is:
- Skilled at communicating and understanding people
- Good at handling conflicts and challenges
- Empathic and present
- Focused on improvements
- Coaching in their approach
- Curious and positive
In the course you work with:
- The well-functioning agile team
- Intensive training in all events in Scrum: Planning, Daily Scrum, Review, and Retrospect
- Typical issues in the implementation and application of Scrum
- Facilitation and optimisation
- How to create an overview, transparency, planning, and predictability
- Interaction with other teams, users, management, and other stakeholders
Benefits for you
- An understanding of agile methods and how they work
- Intensive training and an understanding of the individual elements in Scrum and how they are applied
- Practical approach to the typical issues and challenges when implementing and applying Scrum in your organisation
- Knowledge on how to facilitate the development in a Scrum-team
- Competencies in creating an overview and transparency for reporting
- Knowledge of stakeholder involvement and alignment with management
- Concrete tools and techniques that can be used in combination with Scrum
- PSM® I certification from Scrum.org as evidence of your competencies
Benefits for your company
- Teambuilding that provides independence and ownership
- Teams that take responsibility for their own development and at the same time maintain focus on the bigger picture
- Employees who can help lift and improve others
- Better communication, alignment, and involvement across teams and management levels
- Insights on how to implement Scrum and adapt the framework to the organisation
- Faster deliveries and increased value creation as well as better risk management and higher quality in deliveries
- Increased employee satisfaction
- Better retention and attraction of new talent
Courses with Mannaz
At Mannaz we focus on practical learning and knowledge that creates results.
Our instructors have practical experience with the implementation of projects, and they help organisations reach their full potential every day.
The price includes:
Before the course
- Free access to the e-learning module ”Good learning” which provides insights into how you can increase your output from the course both before, during and after your participation.
During the course
- 2 course days
- Refreshments will be provided throughout the duration of physical attendance courses
- Course materials
- Exam preparation
- Access to Project Management Toolbox – the Project Manager’s virtual toolbox
After the course
- 1 exam attempt when you take the internationally recognized certification exam ”Professional Scrum Master® I (PSM I®).
Attend our courses safely
You can attend all courses, training and workshops physically, in person, in smaller Covid-safe groups.
We’re following these measures to ensure your safety:
- There’ll be a maximum of 25 people in addition to the instructor at each course.
- Everyone must show a valid “Corona passport” – a negative Corona test that is a maximum of 72 hours old.
- Masks must be worn when moving outside the classroom.
- Courses take place in large classrooms with a minimum distance of 1 metre between each chair.
- Lunch is served in pre-prepared portions.
- The classroom is thoroughly cleaned.
Watch the video below (Danish video with English subtitles), where one of our instructors talks about the measures.
Our guidelines were last updated on May 6th 2021. Read more about our current guidelines for COVID-19
The course is held either with physical attendance or as a virtual course – it depends on the selected course date. If there are currently no virtual options in the list of course dates, Future dates will be announced soon.
Prior to both the physical and virtual course, you will gain access to preparatory materials. This ensures that all participants have a similar starting point in terms of knowledge regarding the agile mindset. In that way we ensure optimal learning for all.
We use” Action Learning”, which consists of participatory approaches and varied teaching methods, where you experience an engaging and challenging method of learning through presentations as well as individual and group-based work.
Throughout the course there will be cases, simulations, and training sessions that will put you as a participant in appropriate practice situations that affect your thinking, reflection, and action.
Through involvement you will experience a dynamic and energetic teaching space where knowledge and experiences are applied as active resources in the process.
Feedback will be used to improve performance and create positive experiences to learn and find motivation to apply the new competencies in everyday life.
Through challenges in group exercises, we explore the practical implementation of the agile principles and the application of the elements in Scrum. All this is to create an understanding of how you can create an effective and high-performing Scrum team.
The content of the virtual course corresponds to the content of the physical course. It is merely the format and the practical implementation that differs.
The course consists of a virtual kick-off session and 2 virtual course days. All sessions are held in Zoom or Teams.
At Mannaz, we have extensive experience with virtual learning, and the course is designed to ensure that you get the maximum benefit. We can therefore guarantee that you receive the same benefit as on a physical course.
Read more about virtual learning here.
Conclude the course with a certification
Preparation for the exam
After the virtual or physical course, you will receive additional material that we recommend you use for your exam preparation. Furthermore, you should review the official ”Professional Scrum Assessment” at Scrum.org and thoroughly follow up on all of your answers. You can take this assessment as many times as you find helpful.
We will forward a link for the test exam and a code that you will need to take your official Professional Scrum Master® I (PSM® I) exam at Scrum.org.
Online PSM® I exam
Your exam takes place online at Scrum.org. You can choose which day and what time fits best in your calendar. The exam is in English and lasts one hour. The exam is a Multiple Choice with 80 questions of which you must answer 68 questions correctly (85%). The course price includes one exam attempt.
If you pass your PSM® I exam, you will receive the internationally recognized certification “Professional Scrum Master® I (PSM® I)”. Additionally you will receive a PSM I logo, which you can use to identify your certification on LinkedIn etc.
René Jon Figgé
René Jon Figgé is a Certified Scrum Master and IPMA B-certified senior project manager.
René has more than 30 years of project experience as a project leader, project manager, chief consultant, client director, and department manager.
René is a very experienced senior project manager, facilitator, and instructor at Mannaz. As Head of Project, he has also been responsible for the establishment and competence development of a large project department with Danish and Nordic customers.
Thommas Grauballe Ottsen
Thommas Grauballe Ottsen is an accredited trainer in Scrum, PRINCE2® and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®), as well as certified in Professional Agile Leadership (PAL I), IPMA B senior Project Manager and SAFe® Program Consultant.
Thommas has over 20 years of experience in management and project management in both traditional and agile methods. He has worked with product development, production maturation, and process optimization as well as organisational changes in relation to both physical products and software development.
All our courses can be taught at your location. Internal courses have financial advantages and shared learning creates a sense of community within your organisation.
The course is taught for your company exclusively and so adapted to your wants and needs such as whether the course should be hosted virtually or physically.
If you want to focus on your development as, for example, a leader, project manager or even just your personal development, you have the option to complement your programme or education with coaching sessions.
Coaching is very individual, and we always have coaches with several years of practical experience within your field.
What is the greatest competitive advantage of any business? What is the most essential asset of any organisation?
We deliver courses, education and consulting services – all with an emphasis on people and their interactions in organisations.
If you wish to be on hold for this course and wait a vacant seat please fill in the fields below.